AQUAFORNIA KICKOFF-Newsom Budget Cuts $6B From Climate, Water Plans; Kern River Spills Into CA Aqueduct
In today’s Aquafornia scroll:
- New California budget means a $6 billion cut, and future uncertainty, for climate spending, San Jose Mercury News
- Kern River water to go into California Aqueduct to keep it out of Tulare Lake; flows to ramp up mid-June, SJV Water
- Scientists take flight to map California’s vast snowpack and measure flooding threats, Los Angeles Times
- Click here to read all of today’s water news from California and across the West
Water Word of the Week: To kick off our Bay-Delta Tour week, we’re making the Army Corps of Engineers’ giant Bay Model in Sausalito our Water Word of the Week. Our tour participants on Friday will navigate through the 1.5-acre hydraulic replica of San Francisco Bay and the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to get a better understanding of the ecological complexity and tidal flows of the estuary. For more of the vibrant vocabulary of California water check out Aquapedia, our free online water encyclopedia.
What’s on Tap This Week: The State Water Resources Control Board meets Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss management of the Salton Sea. Also on Wednesday, the California Water Commission will be discussing the Yolo Bypass floodplain restoration. Be sure to check out our calendar for the latest information on events by the Foundation and other groups.
Summer Water Tour: Registration is open for our first in-person Headwaters Tour in four years, set for June 21-22. This is your opportunity to learn how water flows from the High Sierra to your tap. Participants will explore the Lake Tahoe Basin and learn about the impact of recent wildfires on California’s water supply. You can also join us for an optional whitewater rafting trip the day before!
Water Resource of the Week: Brush up on your knowledge of the Delta, a distinct feature of California’s landscape that provides drinking water for 29 million people and sustains a thriving local farm economy, with our Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Education Bundle. This bundle features our popular Delta Map and our Layperson’s Guide to the Delta.
Western Water, our flagship publication produced by Foundation journalists, is available online. Check out our latest articles:
- Upper Colorado River States Add Muscle as Decisions Loom on the Shrinking River’s Future
- Testing at the Source: California Readies a Groundbreaking Hunt to Check for Microplastics in Drinking Water
To get the latest updates on Foundation tours, conferences and publications, including Western Water, sign up here for announcements.
Aquafornia is a news aggregation compiled each weekday and published by the Water Education Foundation.