AQUAFORNIA KICKOFF-Feds Warn Drought Threatens Entire West; Calif. Gives MWD $21M for Delta Restoration
- In today’s Aquafornia scroll:
- Interior: Drought threatens ‘every Western community’, Politico
- Southern California water company to get $21 million to transform Delta island, Bay Area News Group
- News release: State water board proposes hexavalent chromium limit five hundred times higher than the public health goal, Community Water Center
- Click here to read all of today’s water news from California and across the West
Water Word of the Week: To kick off our Headwaters Tour this week, we’re making “Sierra Nevada” our Water Word of the Week. Much of California’s water supply originates in the 450-mile-long range, including the headwaters of the Yuba and American rivers featured in the tour. Participants will learn about projects to restore mountain meadows and fire-ravaged forests — and other efforts to protect watersheds. To learn more about California water, visit Aquapedia, our online water encyclopedia.
What’s on Tap This Week: The California Water Commission meets Wednesday. The same day, the Groundwater Resources Association convenes for its Law and Legislation Forum. Be sure to check out our calendar for the latest information on events by the Foundation and other groups.
September Water Tour: Registration opens this week for our one-time only Eastern Sierra Tour September 13-15. The 3-day tour will journey from the Truckee River to Mono Lake, through the Owens Valley and into the Mojave Desert. Stay tuned for more details!
Western Water, our flagship publication produced by Foundation journalists, is available online. Check out our latest articles:
- High-Tech mapping of Central Valley’s underground blazes path to drought resilience
- Upper Colorado River states add muscle as decisions loom on the shrinking river’s future
- Testing at the source: California readies a groundbreaking hunt to check for microplastics in drinking water
To get the latest updates on Foundation tours, conferences and publications, including Western Water, sign up here for announcements.
Aquafornia is a news aggregation compiled each weekday and published by the Water Education Foundation.