Heat dome and drought are promising another summer of wildfires
Wildfires erupted this past weekend across 10 states—including California, Colorado, Arizona, and Oregon—as record-high temperatures continue to bake many areas in the West and Southwest United States. By Monday, 7 million people were under fire danger warnings, as the record-shattering temperatures—stretching from Palm Springs to Tucson to Denver—migrate north into Oregon and Washington.
- New York Times: Wildfire Season Is Coming. Get Ready.
- KQED: Bone Dry Bay Area Forests Portend Fierce Fire Season
- Monterey Herald: Monterey County experts warn of drought, fire dangers
- The Weather Channel: Virtually the entire West could be in drought this summer, NOAA’s latest outlook says
- Sierra Nevada Ally: Sierra Pacific Industries closes California forestlands to public access due to drought and wildfire danger
- Bay Nature: Living with Fire
- ABC 10: Frequent fires near encampments on the American River Parkway raise alarms