Formal protests start to pour in for Stratos data center’s 2nd water rights change request
Just hours after a second water rights change application for the proposed Stratos data center was published for public notice, hundreds of formal protests started to pour in. The application was filed with the Utah Division of Water Rights on April 28, though the formal period for public response opened up Wednesday morning. “I’m encouraged. I think it’s important for the public to weigh in,” General Counsel for Friends of Great Salt Lake, Rob Debuc, said. The organization had previously called for protests against an earlier water rights change application that called for 1,900 square acre-feet of water. This second application only asks for 11 square acre-feet, but Dubuc pointed out there’s likely more to come, as he said the process for the massive project will likely be unusual.
Other data center water use news around the West:
- E&E News by Politico: Appropriators add data center language to Energy-Water bill
- ABC7 (Denver, Colo.): Longmont considers ban on hyperscale data centers amid growing energy and water concerns
- FOX13 (Salt Lake City): Utah legislature to explore impact of data centers
- Bloomberg Law: EPA official agrees to review data center impacts on water
