Editorial: Governor’s drought solutions: Too little, too late
Four words sum up Gov. Gavin Newsom’s latest effort to ease the impact of the drought: too little, too late. California needs to take far more aggressive action to ensure a reliable source of water for 2022 and beyond. Newsom’s administration is targeting unreasonable waste by urban users, who consume 20% of the state’s water. It’s time for him also to get aggressive with Big Ag, which sucks up the other 80%. Proposed rules for urban users recently unveiled by the State Water Resources Control Board would prohibit things such as watering landscaping within 48 hours of rain, spraying down sidewalks and washing vehicles with a hose that lacks a shut-off nozzle.
- Merced County Times: Opinion - State abandons negotiations, moves ahead to steal your water