California enacted a groundwater law 7 years ago. But wells are still drying up — and it’s spreading
Kelly O’Brien’s drinking water well had been in its death throes for days before its pump finally gave out over Memorial Day weekend. … Soon O’Brien learned that other wells were failing around her. She heard about one neighbor to the north, another to the east. The list kept growing: She started a Facebook group for owners of dry wells to share their woes and resources, and it grew to more than 665 members.
- Fresno Bee: CA drought delays plans to fix failing valley drinking water
- SJV Water: Proposed groundwater bank sparks legal challenge
- Fox 40 – Sacramento: San Joaquin Valley community provides water resources to well owners during drought
- Civil Eats: As Their Wells Dry Up, California’s Small Farms Seek Emergency Relief
- Maven’s Notebook: Water trading & the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act