Friday Top of the Scroll: California Coastal Commission rejects plan for Poseidon desalination plant
After hearing hours of heated debate, the California Coastal Commission voted against a controversial plan by the company Poseidon Water to build a huge desalination plant in Huntington Beach. Despite worsening drought and repeated calls from Gov. Gavin Newsom to tap the Pacific Ocean as a source of drinking water, commissioners voted unanimously against the plan Thursday night. The decision, which was recommended by commission staff, may end the company’s plans for the $1.4-billion plant.
- Orange County Register: Coastal Commission rejects Poseidon desalination bid for O.C.
- CalMatters: A salty dispute: California Coastal Commission unanimously rejects desalination plant
- The Associated Press:Agency unanimously rejects California desalination project
- Reuters:California regulator rejects plan for desalination plant
- Courthouse News Service: California Coastal Commission votes down Huntington Beach desal project
- The Guardian: Joy for environmentalists as California blocks bid for $1.4bn desalination plant
- Los Angeles Times: Residents celebrate as California Coastal Commission rejects plan for Huntington Beach desalination plant
- KTLA: Coastal Commission denies permitting for seawater desalination plant in Huntington Beach
- Manteca Bulletin: Why should Delta continued to be sacrificed for Huntington Beach, other cities in the OC?