Earth’s climate went off the rails in 2021, reports show
Global warming became local to a new and devastating extent in 2021, with the year ranking as the sixth-warmest on record, according to new, independent data from NASA, NOAA and Berkeley Earth. Why it matters: Each year’s data adds to the relentless long-term trend, which shows rapid warming due overwhelmingly to human-caused greenhouse gas emissions during the past several decades in particular. … Four of the top 20 largest wildfires in California history occurred in 2021, as heat waves and drought primed the environment for massive blazes.
- The Associated Press: The heat stays on - Earth hits 6th warmest year on record
- E&E News: California Presents Plan to Prevent Extreme Heat Deaths
- ABC 10: California Drought - 2021 was the 4th warmest year on record for United States
- Inside Climate News: Last Year’s Overall Climate Was Shaped by Warming-Driven Heat Extremes Around the Globe
- CNN: The US ‘megadrought’ sets another stunning record