Blog: April 2022 La Niña update – Measuring up
La Niña continues in the tropical Pacific, with both the ocean and atmosphere clearly reflecting La Niña conditions. The current forecast favors the continuation of La Niña through the summer (59% chance), with a slightly lower chance into the fall (50-55% chance). A third-year La Niña would be pretty unusual—we’ve only seen two others since 1950. I’ll run the numbers to see how current conditions add up and what’s factoring into the odds for La Niña later this year.
- NOAA: U.S. Drought Monitor Update for April 12, 2022
- KTVU 2 Oakland: California water officials say 2022 driest winter on record
- Tahoe Daily Tribune: Historically dry - Despite December’s historic snowfall, officials warn of drought
- The Denver Channel: California snowpack levels are low, now it’s affecting farmers and grocery prices
- NOAA: March 2022, year to date rank as Earth’s 5th warmest