Last Chance To Register For Next Week’s Water 101 Workshop
Leading policy and legal experts explain everything you need to know to understand California water
There’s just one week left to register for our Water 101 Workshop, which offers a primer on the things you need to know to understand California water.
One of our most popular events, this once-a-year workshop will be held as an engaging online event on the afternoons of Thursday, April 22 and Friday, April 23. California’s water basics will be covered by some of the state’s leading policy and legal experts, including the history, geography, legal and political facets of water in the state, as well as a look at hot topics and current issues of concern.
Live Q&A with the speakers and chat rooms will be part of the event.
Who should attend:
The annual workshop acts as a refresher for more veteran water professionals and a good statewide primer for others. Participants will come away with a deeper understanding of the state’s most precious natural resource.
It is geared toward new water district directors, water resource industry staff, engineering and environmental firm personnel, city council members, county supervisors, legislators, legislative staff, press, advocates, attorneys, environmentalists and public interest organizations.
What you will learn:
- Water geography, history and hydrology, along with an overview of major water infrastructure projects, wild and scenic rivers, flood management and alternative supplies.
- Water rights system, including riparian, appropriative, tribal and groundwater rights, along with requirements for reasonable and beneficial use of water and the impact public trust law has on how water is managed.
- Water management and regulatory agencies and their respective roles at the state and federal level.
- Groundwater, its importance in the state’s water supply, its history of use and overuse and the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act.
- Legislative process, tips on how the public can participate as well as current and future water issues and priorities for the California Legislature.
The workshop also will include a discussion of hot topics in water management, including drought, water equity, flows in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and how the new federal administration is affecting California water.
How to register:
For more details and to register, visit our Water 101 Workshop page.