The Water Education Foundation, a highly respected and impartial nonprofit based in Sacramento, Calif., has a full-time opening for a dynamic, strategic and energetic development director to generate grant support and other funding for programs that carry out the Foundation’s important mission. The Foundation has been a trusted source of news and educational programming involving the most critical natural resource in California and across the West for more than 45 years.
The ideal candidate has experience in managing grants from a variety of sources, including state and federal government agencies and private foundations, enjoys a fast-paced, team-oriented environment and possesses strong communication skills, both verbal and written. This position is responsible for researching, securing and administering grants and soliciting sponsorships to support high-level events and other programs. The position also assists the Executive Director in expanding annual contributions. This position supervises our Project WET (Water Education Today) coordinator, a position heavily dependent on grants, and reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches and prepares grant proposals, with an eye toward implementing the Foundation’s vision and programs
- Leads, markets and plans fundraising efforts such as auctions, Big Day of Giving, Workplace Giving and other events
- Assists Executive Director with expanding annual contribution campaign
- Develops outreach programs that coordinate with the Foundation’s vision and fundraising goals
- Actively promotes the Water Education Foundation by networking at events and building relationships with potential funders and sponsors
- Manages planned giving and other programs aimed at identifying and securing major gifts
- Administers grant funds by managing the contracts, writing interim and final reports and coordinating and tracking progress
- Works with accountant on grant invoicing
- Prepares statements of work and budgets
- Maintains accounts associated with funding
- Attends Foundation board meetings and reports on grant activities and other projects
- Attends meeting with grant funders to give updates on programs
- Produces development and promotional materials
- Generates marketing ideas for the Foundation via social media and website posts
- Applies for awards and other recognition for the Foundation’s work
- Serves as a staff liaison to the Foundation board’s Marketing Committee
- Helps craft annual budget based on grants and grant-related programs
- Reviews contracts for events, Project WET workshops and other purposes
- Drafts MOU agreements with various partners for events/programs
- Attends tours and events as assigned to help with implementation, networking
- Ability and willingness to travel, mainly across California but occasionally elsewhere
- Keeps current with water issues in California and across the West to speak intelligently about them to potential funders
- Ability to get along and work effectively with others
- Ability to juggle short-term and long-term projects
- Other duties as necessary
- Ability to plan and manage funding proposals and contracts simultaneously while meeting deadlines for other tasks
- Attention to detail, particularly with contracts.
- Excellent communication skills and writing abilities
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint & Access
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, journalism, or related field
- Minimum 10 years’ overall job experience, five of those years with specific focus on and proven experience involving major gift programs, grant programs and other fundraising activities
- Certificate in fundraising management a plus
- Familiarity with key water issues, people and organizations in California and the Colorado River Basin helpful
- Flexibility and a “can-do” attitude
Salary range begins at $75,000, with higher compensation considered based on candidate’s experience. Excellent benefits – 100 percent employer-paid medical, dental, vision; paid vacation, sick time and holidays; 403(b) retirement plan with generous employer contributions. This is a salaried, exempt position.
The Foundation team works on a hybrid work schedule with Mondays and Fridays from home and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in the Sacramento office.
Email resume and letter of interest to Jennifer Bowles, the Foundation’s Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. This job will remain open until filled.
The Water Education Foundation is an impartial, nonprofit 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to inspire understanding of water and catalyze critical conversations to build bridges and inform collaborative decision-making. Learn more at www.watereducation.org