Learn about criteria for acceptance, scholarships and tips for completing a solid application for the competitive program
Applications for the 2020 Water Leaders class can be found here. The one-year program begins on Jan. 23 with a mandatory class orientation at the Foundation’s Sacramento office. We recommend putting your best effort into the application package, especially the written statement, as this is a highly competitive program.
The application package must include:
- A completed application form
- A one-page written statement describing why you are interested in participating in the class (make this your best effort)
- Your resume
- A reference letter from your employer/supervisor that explains their support for the time commitment of the program and why they are supporting you specifically
- A nonrefundable application fee of $35
Contact Kasey Chong, program coordinator, via email or at 916-444-6240 with any questions.
Our selection committee is made up of Board Members and Foundation staff (but not the executive director).
The committee reviews applications with an eye toward those applicants who have:
- a commitment to understanding water issues;
- a commitment to the community through volunteer activities;
- an interest in seeking leadership roles on public boards and commissions, and/or
- an interest in opportunities for advancement to key leadership roles within their own organizations.
Tuition cost for the 2020 class will be $4,250 for the yearlong program.
Each year, some need-based scholarship funding is available, such as:
- The John P. Fraser Water Leaders Fellowship for ACWA public member agencies. See more information and requirements here.
- The William R. “Bill” Gianelli Fund
- The Wayne Clark Water Leaders Scholarship
- The Anne J. Schneider Fund
If you are applying for a scholarship, you must include a statement of financial need with your application.
To contribute to the Water Leaders Class, contact Kasey Chong at the above email.